-
August 26th, 2004, 09:41 AM
#251
Inactive Member
explain which part?...the planes crashing or something else?
-
August 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM
#252
Senior Hostboard Member
So, this is why Disney's "The Lion King" was their first film in ages to actually be worth watching. Behold, Kimba the lion.
Its ironic because anime started off copying Walt Disney's cartoons, and manga-ka such as the legendary Osamu Tezuka have gladly admitted to it. Yet now its gone through a complete reversal, Disney have neglected to accredit Tezuka-san for his work, despite blatantly copying it.
Either way, now that Disney is approaching bankruptcy, and have lost their Pixar CG animation division, the mainstream will be forced to take even further notice of the eastern delight that is anime - and this time, it'll be more than just Pokemon, DragonBallZ and Yu Gi Oh.
-
August 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
#253
Inactive Member
Yep. I remember hearing of the Kimba the Lion thing a year or so ago.
-
August 26th, 2004, 12:04 PM
#254
Senior Hostboard Member
Xel! One post and 8000...
Yeah, I saw this Kimba show on TV a couple of years ago, Disney really copied that dud3... O_o
-
August 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
#255
HB Forum Owner
IRT YK: How and when did Russia invade Finland, etc., go ahead, this is a politically incorrect board ^_^.
????
WRT The Lying King: zOMG, I hadn't heard anything about that. I can't believe how lame and crappy Disney has come to be. Not only that, but I had also heard how did they copy some French guy's story for Finding Nemo, and seen how did they try to focus on Asia and borrow a bit of their style in movies like Mulan or Lilo & Stich. But this is just too much, and very unfair. The once top-quality, innovative, best of the world Disney, has fallen into utter crappiness. The quality of most of their recent movies leave a lot to be desired, and the ones that were good, were blatantly copied, or came from teams that no longer work for Disney. And the latest Disney item I really enjoyed ?Kingdom Hearts? was actually made by the Japanese because one of the world's largest companies was incapable of making a high quality videogame. This is just too lame. I think the time has come for Disney to fold. I have good memories of it when I was young, and don't like to see such a previously nice company turned into a shitload of crap. So I hope they go bankruptcy, and some other company gets its name and rights, for the sake of the Disney of the past. I'm sure this is what Walt Disney would have wanted.
Save for CGs, the Japanese have pwned our huge western animation industry with small companies and a fraction of the budget. This makes you think the western industry no longer worries about quality and innovation, just wants to make money fast, which means:
1. Take an already written successful story nobody remembers now, to cut costs and reduce risk
2. Produce an "OMG instant classic new movie!!1"
3. Earn the real bucks with merchandising and licensing.
I think it's time for people to open their eyes and ears to the Asian culture which is currently much better in the animation sector, and to realize anime is not only better, more original, and more genuine, but it has left behind the tightassed assumption that "cartoons are for kids".
-
August 26th, 2004, 10:39 PM
#256
Senior Hostboard Member
A lot of the original directors that brought us the old Disney films have now moved to Dreamworks, and have recently been working on animations such as Shrek, The Road to El Dorado, Sinbad etc...
And it really shows, all of those are fantastic kids films, which also entertain the more mature viewers on another level. And, no singing.
-
August 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM
#257
HB Forum Owner
no singing
Y-fucking-AY!!! I ***HATE*** it when they sing in the middle of a movie.
-
August 26th, 2004, 11:53 PM
#258
Senior Hostboard Member
Looking back, the songs were memorable, and quite often well composed and performed; but god damn, they were so out of place, and not to mention corny. Viewing these films as a kid, i remember feeling that they quite often detracted from the whole experience, though there were notable exceptions (such as the appropriate african chants in The Lion King, composed by Hans Zimmer).
Well, that was the past, and now they're living off their former success, with shameless re-releases and needless sequels (Lion King 3, or Lion King 1.5 anyone?). For the consumers, this lack of effort to produce something fresh, new and entertaining has been all too noticable, as Disney have recently announced that they're being forced to close down Disneyland Paris, due to extremely low demand (even in the busy seasons).
As you said, the most successful product they've produced as of late is kingdom Hearts, which had a 40% input from them (for the official voice-acting, and character and setting designs). In seeing the success of this, they even recently tried the same tactic with other big japanese names, such as Konami, Capcom and Nintendo, but achieved nowhere near the same degree of success.
Fortunately for them, Tetsuya Nomura and Square Enix were keen to make a sequel to Kingdom Hearts, and im sure no fans of the original will argue against the idea; its the one thing Disney is good for now.
<font color="#101010" size="1">[ August 26, 2004 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>
-
August 27th, 2004, 01:30 AM
#259
HB Forum Owner
Ohh, talking about DisneyLand Paris, I have a story to tell, too late today, check the Random subject thread tomorrow or so.
WRT songs: When they started singing I took advantage of it to go to the WC, get something to eat, etc. Now I'd just skip forwards them.
WRT Kingdom Hearts: Did they design the scenarios, or just said how should they be and made some concept art? I thought the whole game was made by the Japanese, Disney only licensed everything, told them what to use and what to include, and took care of the voices, but Square did all the software engineering, programming, graphics, music, testing, and commercial matters.
-
August 27th, 2004, 01:44 AM
#260
Inactive Member
On the topic of Disney, I've had a bit of a vendetta against them since they rejected MM's F9/11 (since they own Miramax), and thus didn't have much respect for them before I saw this, now their respect-o-meter has fallen into the negatives with no signs of warming up anytime soon.
WRT U.S. vs. Asian Animation: That may be true, but there is still some good animated (and very funny shows that are new), some examples are South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy (New season next year, yay), Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Futurama (Nothing new), and a few other okay ones like Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, Ed Edd 'n' Eddy, Space Ghost CtC and finally the Brak Show.
But as in design and picture the Asian has America beat. But as in funny we win.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks